The Cooperative Economics Alliance of NYC (CEANYC) is hiring a Programs and Operations Coordinator. This person will work remotely (though must be based in NYC) and support CEANYC 20 hours per week with programs, operations, membership outreach, fundraising, communications, and other key tasks. This position will be compensated at $25/hour. There is ample room to grow in this position, and pending funding, hours and responsibilities may be expanded.
Who We Are
CEANYC is a 130+ member organization that aims to strengthen and expand community-led, democratically-controlled initiatives—from worker, financial and consumer co-ops to community land trusts and gardens, mutual housing, and low-income housing co-ops. Our vision is an economy based on values of social and racial justice, ecological sustainability, cooperation, mutualism, and democracy.
We currently strengthen and expand our member businesses and networks through a microgrant program—the Solidarity Economy Giving Project—and three major programming areas: Leadership Development and Technical Assistance, Policy and Advocacy, and Research and Visibility.
The Programs and Operations Coordinator will be working with one other part-time staff person, our General Coordinator, and will report directly to the Board of Directors, which includes 13 representatives elected by our membership. We recognize that not all candidates will have the full set of desired qualifications; if you have most of them, we encourage you to apply.
Who You Are
CEANYC seeks a Programs and Operations Coordinator who is passionate about social change and racial justice, eager to build alternatives to capitalism, and on top of their inbox.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Experience with CiviCRM, WordPress, Google Drive, Quickbooks, Zoom, Slack, and Canva or Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong project management skills and keen attention to deadlines
- Training in anti-oppression analysis and practices
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Experience working in collective or cooperative settings
- Familiarity with consensus decision-making
- Nonprofit administrative experience (budgeting, working with fiscal sponsors)
- Experience with event coordination
- Ability to solve problems creatively
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and remotely
- Experience working in multi-racial and diverse organizations
Desired qualifications include:
- Familiarity with cooperatives and the Solidarity Economy framework, especially the cooperative landscape in New York City
- Spanish-language fluency
- Grant writing experience and familiarity with maintaining grant and reporting calendars (Fundraising is a team effort at CEANYC)
- Designing and offering political education programs, particularly using a popular education frame
- Experience training and leading volunteer teams
This position is an excellent fit for somebody who needs a flexible schedule, has demonstrated experience working independently and remotely, and who can handle managing multiple projects simultaneously. Hours are typically within the 9-5 weekday window with the exception of programs that run on evenings or weekends (approximately 1-3 per month), and are determined with the General Coordinator. We are a growing organization and looking for someone who likes the challenge of a start-up and being part of a small but diverse team that is a mix of paid folks and volunteers. We can’t offer ourselves health or retirement benefits until our budget grows substantially, but in the meantime we do offer paid holidays and vacation time to our Coordinators (who are independent contractors, not employees).
We are especially interested in applicants with experience living, working, or volunteering in CEANYC member organizations, and those who are from the communities where CEANYC members are based. We get that most people won’t have all of the experience or skills listed, and as an organization we are deeply committed to leadership and professional development, so if you have some of the skills or experience, or you’re deeply involved in solidarity economy, please go ahead and apply. CEANYC is an equal opportunity employer and women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and those from all other NYC and NYS protected classes are encouraged to apply.
To apply please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com by May 6.